Not English but Spanish

Not English ( Spanish Class and Its Effect on Me ) 





My Spanish Teacher 

Sister Marie Aimee is my Spanish teacher at King’s Preparatory High School. I am going into 9th grade. 

Starting High School

 I have left behind my K thru 8 elementary school of St Boniface, and am mixed in with others from all over the county. Some are from the suburbs, and some are from the city. Some live in nice houses which all look the same in suburban tracts. Some live in working-class neighborhoods where every house is different. Almost everyone here is Catholic. But we all, everyone of us, have one thing in common: We speak English. 

Why Spanish

My daily school load is six classes. I had only one choice which was either Spanish (supposed to be easy) or French (supposed to be unspellable). Sr Marie Aimee, as my Spanish teacher, is about to plunge me into another world where I will learn a new, to turn a phrase - “lingua franca”. 

The Awakening

 “How hard can Spanish be?”, I think. I memorize the words and spit them back.. But as I find out, Spanish may have been the hardest class that year. Spanish verbs depend on endings that show who the actor is, e.g. “Veo” is “I see” whereas “Veamos” means “We see”. “Veas” means “you see” - as in a close friend, and “Vean” means “You see” - as in a group of people deserving of your respect. I look forward to my daily hour with Sr Aimee. Every day is a step of inches. I put in the time over dictionaries and grammar lessons and reorder thought patterns. Very small steps only acquire significant value over the long term. 

Changing 

In my teen years, I am mildly disinterested in languages. In my mid-twenties, something kicks in high-gear, and I strongly suspect it is all the world-traveling in the Navy. I find a burning desire to not just visit the world but to live in it. Sr Aimee started the process for me to understand a different world view, because the study of culture matters to the mastery of a foreign language. 

South Korea

 In 1976 I spend a year in South Korea, and make no effort to integrate. I waste an opportunity. 

Russian

 At 27, I begin my study of Russian, one of the most challenging languages in the world. It is Spanish on cocaine. Word significance is expressed through its ending. Since Russian has six cases and three genders and both a singular and plural form for each gender and case, that is thirty six possible endings for one word. “Chelovek” is Russian for “person”. Now imagine thirty six ways to express the action by or on a “person”, all starting with “chelov-” and some kind of ending. All of a sudden, Sr Marie Aimee’s Spanish class looked a whole lot simpler. 

Turkey

It is 1981 and I am stationed in Turkey. I try to learn Turkish, but am too consumed with my professional responsibilities improving my Russian. Another missed opportunity. 

Japan

 One year later at 29 years of age, I am stationed in northern Japan. Over the next five years, I dive deep into Japanese and Japan’s culture on my time off. I have friendships among the Japanese. I easily ride the subway, order food or just simply talk with complete strangers. My favorite memory is the time on the train that I offered my seat to an old lady. The language that I need is limited, but the Japanese around me comment on my actions and I understand. 

Spain

My last major life event overseas is Spain for two years. Pretty soon I am conversant. I live off-base in a non-American community. My Spanish neighbors watch over me. One lady takes my clothes off the line because it starts to rain. Another runs off a scam peddler at my door. I have not integrated but I am in their community. 

The Camino de Santiago

Since 2014, I have been walking the Camino de Santiago. I share wine in bodegas with locals. I walk with Jesu from the Atlantic coast to Santiago, sharing memories of life, love, growing and pain. These days my partner, who is also conversant in Spanish, and I feel wonderful on our own, criss-crossing the Iberian peninsula on foot. 

Germany and Der Jakobsweg

Starting three years ago, I have been learning German. Twice I have been to Deutschland, and each time, I through-hike on my own without guides or helpers or translators. Each language teaches me new ways to see the world. It is much more than “spitting the words out”. 

Trying to Thank Sr Aime


 I have tried hard over the past years to write Sr Aimee a thank-you note, but I can’t reach her. The last I heard was that she had left the School Sisters of St Joseph order and was living completely off the internet.. 

The Wrapup

From the 1967 KP Yearbook: “ Spanish students acquaint themselves with the language and customs of the people utilizing such relatively modern techniques as tapes, records, films and the like. “ 

To Sr Aimee: Thank You 

Sr Marie Aimee’s patience, humor and teaching were much more important than any technology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snapshots: Is the Camino More Than Just Moments in Time

The Camino Norte

Bring Me To Life