Day 15: From Los Tánagos to San Rocque

Day 15: From Los Tánagos to San Rocque

Date29 Jul ( Monday )
WeatherMostly cloudy. High 70s. Humidity close to 90%. Late afternoon thunderstorm.
Today's Distance: 15 miles / 24 km
Route and StatsRoute Video
Total This Camino: 136 miles.
Total 2024 Caminos: 249 miles
Total All Caminos: 2249 miles
Lodging: Hostel Europa @ $ 43
Total Lodging: $ 653
Planes: $ 1500 (round trip)
Total Planes /
Travel Insurance:
$ 2100 / $ 246
Buses / Trains / Taxis:
Total Buses / Trains / Taxis: $ 195
Food: $ 20
Total Food: $ 332

On The Road

7: 45 a.m. Starting. Nice light breakfast at the Cafeteria Royale III ... Cafe, orange juice, tostada. 

8:15 a.m. Pesués

9:15 a.m. Unquera. Crossing the Rio Deva: leaving Cantabria, entering Astorias. 

10:00 a.m. Completed the 300-ft, 3/4 Mi climb to Columbres.

10:20 a.m. Quick rest stop in  Columbres for ice cream.

11:35 - 12:10 Coffee break in La Franca and foot care 

1:45 p.m. Buelno

2:30 to 2:50 p.m. Food, drink and foot care in Pendueles

3:45 p.m. On the Sendera Coastal and we have thunder in the distance.

4:00 p.m. quickening the pace to get to Puertas de Vidiago in order to avoid the oncoming thunderstorm

4:30 p.m. Made it to Restaurant  Cadipoli in Puertas de Vidiago.
Decided to stay for an amazing dinner, Mary's treat. We all had shrimp lightly cooked in garlic and olive oil - gambas al ajillo.

5:30 A restaurant employee graciously offered us a ride to the hostel because I was having difficulty finding a cab. Turns out he's a chef there.

6:00 p.m. At the Hostel Europa.

Random Thought of the Day

Could be an interesting day. 

In order to get back to the Camino, we have to walk for about 3 Mi along a national highway. 

It is never the most interesting, but that's where our lodging was. We will rejoin the Camino, and then pretty much follow it the rest of the day.

Meaningful Moment / Notable Memories

I've come to the realization that I've become too self-confident about my Spanish. 

Although I find myself very capable of telling stories, I still lack the patience to listen attentively when getting directions. 

As the directions to some place begin to pile up, I lose focus on the totality of the instructions. I find myself working hard to take in the current things that I'm being told and not able to remember the entirety of what I was told.

Although it hasn't cause problems so far, there has been a few times when I've missed a key element in a set of directions. 

This difficulty in following directions to a place happens when I can't relate buildings or landmarks or other things in my mind. 

For example, having someone tell me to "go four blocks and turn right" is not easily processed. I start to see things like alleys or whatever that confuse me. 

When someone says "go to the Cepsa gas station and turn right", now I have a concrete image.

I have learned that I must trust Deb's ability to process these things as her Spanish is good at this.




Highway walking thru Pesués



Rio Deva: leaving Cantabria, entering Asturias.



Walking under the A-8 expressway, outside of La Franca. Vertical panorama, the bridge is straight.


On the way to Buelna



More highway walking but at least it was green and quiet



Just before the thunderstorms started rolling in


View of the Cantabrian mountains from our hostel



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 04: From Bilboa to Portugalete

Two Weeks To Go

Day 06: From Ontón to Castro Urdiales