Day 16: From San Rocque to Barro

Day 16: From San Rocque to Barro

Date30 Jul ( Tuesday )
WeatherBeautiful weather to be at the beach. Does that tell you everything you need to know? Lol
Today's Distance:


Total This Camino: 136 miles.
Total 2024 Caminos: 249 miles
Total All Caminos: 2249 miles
Lodging: Hotel Kaype Quintamar@ $ 72
Total Lodging: $ 725
Planes: $ 1500 (round trip)
Total Planes /
Travel Insurance:
$ 2100 / $ 246
Buses / Trains / Taxis: $ 25 San Rocque to Barro
Total Buses / Trains / Taxis: $ 220
Food: $ 25
Total Food: $ 357

On The Road

8:00 a.m. Starting day with a surprise back twinge.

8:30 a.m. Not going anywhere walking today. Out of the question. 

9:00 a.m. Deb and Mary have taken off for our next stage. I'm resting at the hostel Europa. 

10:00 a.m. I've already talked to a Camino baggage service that I can use for the next couple of days to carry my backpack while I walk with a day pack.

11:15 a.m. 20 minute cab ride to Barro where we are staying tonight. 

1:15 p.m. The staff has prepared the hotel room early, and I'm headed upstairs to start enjoying the day.

2:30 p.m. Deb and Mary arrive to the hotel. 

6:00 p.m. Trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. Options include: 
  • Hiking to Ribasedella with backpack. 
  • Backpack transport service and walking from here. 
  • Backpack service, taxi halfway and then walk 
  • Wait here until checkout time and taxi to Ribasedella with backpack
With the first three options I get some hiking in. 
With the last option, I rest more and have time to see Ribadesella. 

Although to be honest, it would be so much more fun with Deb and Mary.

All things considered, if I have to spend a day in Spain with a bad lower back, the beach at Playa de Barro is a good place to do it.

Random Thought of the Day

Hoping to hell, given my back with the pulled muscle, that I can get down to the beach today and lay on the sand and get in the ocean.

Update: I did make it down to the beach, got two dips in and laid in the Sun. My first experience with the Cantabrian Sea 馃檪 .

Meaningful Moment / Notable Memories

Humorous cultural error. 

I used Google to get a taxi service out of San Rocque. ( I did not specify what province or autonomous community in Spain. ) And then I called two cab drivers, both of whom did not know the location where I was staying at nor the location where I wanted to go. 

It was very confusing. One of the cab drivers told me to send the information via the WhatsApp app.

He answers a few minutes later that he is in San Rocque, province of C谩diz, Autonomous Community of Andalusia which is hundreds of miles to the south. 

I go back in to talk to the hostel manager and tell him the problem I'm having. 

He laughs and says there is also a San Rocque in C谩diz. 

Of course the problem is I am in San Rocque, province of Llanes, Autonomous Community of Asturia, hundreds of miles to the north. 

So he gives me some local cab numbers. I call one and within 15 minutes I have a taxi to take me to Barro. 

LOL. Clearly, the Google search algorithm had a preference for the south of Spain. Anecdotally, this seems to prove that Google is not always tracking me.



The Cantabrian mountains to the south of us. We have been following along them for some days now.



How clearly the mountains reflect in the cafeteria window.

When I sent this screenshot of Google maps to the taxi driver to pick me up, he told me that he was about 550 Mi to the south. Two towns with the same name but on opposite ends of the country. lol



The saving grace to the day. I get to spend a day on the beach at Playa de Barro.





Hotel Kaype-Quintana, Playa de Barro



Ocean dip at Playa de Barro, Asturias






Staying cool at the beach



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 04: From Bilboa to Portugalete

Two Weeks To Go

Day 06: From Ont贸n to Castro Urdiales